THE SEED VIGOUR OF SPELT PRODUCED AT THE MAIZE RESEARCH INSTITUTE “ZEMUN POLJE”
AuthorsLazarević, Tijana D.
Petrović, Tanja B.
Todorović, Goran N.
Sečanski, Mile D.
Golijan-Pantović, Jelena M.
Lekić, Slavoljub S.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
Spelt (Triticum spelta L.) has been increasingly attracting producers due to the biological properties and chemical composition of its seeds. As high-quality seeds are necessary for successful production, the vigour of organically and conventionally produced spelt seeds has been studied and results are presented in this paper. The seeds of the variety Nirvana produced by both methods at the Maize Research Institute “Zemun Polje” in 2015 were observed. According to the results, the germination energy of conventionally and organically produced seeds amounted to 30% and 69%, respectively. The total germination of conventionally and organically produced spelt seeds amounted to 99% and 93%, respectively. The percentage of abnormal seedlings of spelt produced by both methods amounted to 1% on average. The participation of diseased and dead seeds was higher in organically produced seeds (6%) than in conventionally produced seeds (0%). After the seed accelerated ageing test, a higher germinati...on was observed in conventionally produced seeds (75%) than in organically produced seeds (68%). The electric conductivity of conventionally produced seeds amounted to 189.4 μS/cm and 195.2 μS/cm in the first and the second replication, respectively, while the values of organically produced seeds amounted to 95.5 μS/cm and 98.6 μS/cm, in the first and the second replication, respectively. The results obtained by the electrical conductivity test indicated that the conventionally produced spelt seeds (32.33 µS/cm g) were classified into the category of low vigour seeds in comparison to organically produced spelt seeds (27.65 µS/cm g). © 2022 University of Belgrade - Faculty of Agriculture. All Rights Reserved.
Keywords:accelerated ageing / electrical conductivity / germination / Triticum spelta L
Source:Journal of Agricultural Sciences (Belgrade), 2022, 67, 4, 355-366