Micromorphological and anatomical characteristics of Salvia amplexicaulis Lam., S. jurisicii Kosanin and S. ringens Sibth. & Sm. (Lamiaceae)
AuthorsAlimpić Aradski, Ana
Marin, Petar D.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
In this study, we examined Salvia amplexicaulis Lam., S. jurisicii Kosanin and S. ringens Sibth. & Sm. collected in the Republic of North Macedonia, which are for the first time subjected to detailed micromorphological and structural analysis using light and scanning electron microscopy. The nutlets and mucilage were additionally subjected to spectroscopic analysis using Raman and Attenuated Total Reflectance Fourier Transform Infrared spectroscopy. The anatomical structure of stems and leaves is described and compared. The stems, leaves and calyces bear numerous one- and multi-cellular nonglandular trichomes, and various peltate, capitate and digitiform glandular trichomes. The nutlets differ in size and shape, as well as in myxocarpy. The nutlets predominantly contained alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid, whereas the mucilages are primarily formed of polysaccharides. The results obtained in this study confirmed the importance of micromorphological and anatomical analysis of Salvia L. ...spp. plant parts, particularly trichomes and nutlets, and hence contributing to the knowledge about the variety of micromorphological characteristics within the genus Salvia L.
Keywords:Salvia amplexicaulis Lam / Salvia jurisicii Kosanin / Salvia ringens Sibth / & Sm / microscopy / trichomes / nutlets / mucilage
Source:Plant Biosystems, 2021, 155, 1
- Taylor & Francis Ltd, Abingdon
Funding / projects:
- Micromorphological, phytochemical and molecular investigations of plants - systematic, ecological and applicative aspects (RS-173029)
- Biotechnology in vitro - crop, medicinal and endangered plant species (RS-173015)
- Biotechnological approaches for overcoming effects of drought on agricultural production in Serbia (RS-31005)
- Peer-reviewed manuscript: http://aspace.agrif.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/5765