Controllable synthesis of Fe3O4-wollastonite adsorbents for efficient heavy metal ions/oxyanions removal
AuthorsRusmirović, Jelena D.
Umićević, Ana B.
Pavlović, Vera P.
Marinković, Aleksandar D.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
Iron oxide, in the form of magnetite (MG)-functionalized porous wollastonite (WL), was used as an adsorbent for heavy metal ions (cadmium and nickel) and oxyanions (chromate and phosphate) removal from water. The porous WL was synthesized from calcium carbonate and siloxane by controlled sintering process using low molecular weight submicrosized poly(methyl methacrylate) as a pore-forming agent. The precipitation of MG nanoparticles was carried out directly by a polyol-medium solvothermal method or via branched amino/carboxylic acid cross-linker by solvent/nonsolvent method producing WL/MG and WL--APS/MG adsorbents, respectively. The structure/properties of MG functionalized WL was confirmed by applying FTIR, Raman, XRD, Mossbauer, and SEM analysis. Higher adsorption capacities of 73.126, 66.144, 64.168, and 63.456mgg(-1) for WL--APS/MG in relation to WL/MG of 55.450, 52.019, 48.132, and 47.382mgg(-1) for Cd2+, Ni2+, phosphate, and chromate, respectively, were obtained using nonlinear ...Langmuir model fitting. Adsorption phenomena were analyzed using monolayer statistical physics model for single adsorption with one energy. Kinetic study showed exceptionally higher pseudo-second-order rate constants for WL--APS/MG, e.g., 1.17-13.4 times, with respect to WL/MG indicating importance of both WL surface modification and controllable precipitation of MG on WL--APS.
Keywords:Calcium metasilicate ceramic / Magnetite functionalization / Solvent / nonsolvent method / Polyol-thermal method / Heavy metals / Adsorption / Fe3O4
Source:Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 2019, 26, 12, 12379-12398
- Springer Heidelberg, Heidelberg
Funding / projects:
- National Science FoundationNational Science Foundation (NSF)
- North Carolina State University [HRD-1345219, DMR-1523617]
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration project [NASA: NNX09AV07A]
- bilateral cooperation between Serbia and France [4510339/2016/09/03]
- Directed synthesis, structure and properties of multifunctional materials (RS-172057)
- Investigation of intermetallics and semiconductors and possible application in renewable energy sources (RS-171001)
- Geologic and ecotoxicologic research in identification of geopathogen zones of toxic elements in drinking water reservoirs- research into methods and procedures for reduction of biochemical anomalies (RS-176018)